Wednesday 30 March 2011

Cheltenham Skeptics in the Pub

On Tuesday evening I went to Cheltenham Skeptics in the Pub to see Christopher French do a talk. The talk itself was good, but what I want to write about is a little episode of non-critical thinking on my part.

When I got there, I wanted a drink, but there were a lot of people at the bar, and only one bar tender who didn’t seem to be moving very quickly. I noticed that this bar sold Budvar Dark on tap, and I thought "The last pub I went to with Budvar Dark on tap had really slow service too!"

I don’t really think that the drinks on sale effect the speed of service at a pub (well, except for Guiness) but for a second, I thought I’d stumbled upon something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if there could be a connection? Correlation is not causation, we all know that, but let's play with it. Buduvar Dark is a premium priced drink -- my two cokes cost me £6, the place is not cheap -- so you can offer slower service and still retain profit margins. In my local boozer beer is much cheaper, and the place survives on the many locals who drink every night horrific amounts of cheaper beer. Service is therefore faster, as people drink more when the price is low. So there could be an economic rationale for the slow service? :) Was lovely to meet you by the way, and I'm sorry we got to talk so little. Hopefully on the 12th?

cj x

Ersby said...

Hmm, you may have a point. Perhaps I am a genius after all!

Anonymous said...

I love the things you stumble upon! Andrea xxx